Seasonal Spotlight: cauliflower
Cauliflower is meant for more than just a side dish. Not only is it a versatile vegetable, but it's also packed with nutrients and can be used in a variety of dishes. This cruciferous vegetable is not only flavourful, but it's also high in fibre, low in calories, and packed with vitamins and minerals.
The best season for cauliflower
Cauliflower is at its best during the winter season, particularly in January. This is when it is harvested and available in abundance, making it the perfect time to incorporate cauliflower into your meals. Its crisp texture and mild flavour make cauliflower a versatile ingredient in both cooked and raw dishes.
Picking your cauliflower
To get the most out of your cauliflower, it's important to select fresh and high-quality produce. Here are some tips for picking the best cauliflower:
- Look for a cauliflower head that is firm, compact, and free from blemishes or discolouration.
- Check the leaves surrounding the head to ensure they are vibrant and green.
- The colour of the cauliflower head should be creamy white or pale yellow, depending on the variety.
Storing your cauliflower
Proper storage is key to maintaining the freshness and quality of your cauliflower. Follow these tips to extend the shelf life of your cauliflower:
- Store cauliflower in your vacuum-locked B!POD container to ensure lasting freshness.
- Our top tip: Avoid washing the cauliflower before storing it, as excess moisture can lead to spoilage!
- If you have leftover cauliflower, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in a vacuum-locked B!POD container before refrigerating. By using B!POD, your cauliflower will stay fresh for up to five times longer than if you used plastic wrap or other traditional storage methods.
Cooking with cauliflower
- Cauliflower rice: Replace traditional rice with cauliflower rice for a low-carb and nutrient-packed alternative. Simply pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor until they resemble rice grains. Sauté the cauliflower rice with your favourite herbs and spices for a flavourful side dish or base for stir-fries.
- Cauliflower cheese: This side dish is a classic for a reason. Make a roux with butter, flour and milk before adding your grated cheese. Our favourites are cheddar and mozzarella for extra cheese pull. Roast your cauliflower florets in the oven before pouring over your cheesy sauce and topping with MORE cheese. If you’re feeling fancy, we LOVE to add a little truffle paste to our cheese sauce to take your side dish from simple to sensational!
- Harissa cauliflower steaks: Slice cauliflower into thick "steaks" and roast them in the oven for a delicious and satisfying vegetarian main course. Coat the cauliflower steaks with olive oil and harissa paste and leave to marinate in your B!POD container. This will speed up the marination time by 81%, meaning you can get the most out of your food in the least time possible. Once they’ve absorbed all that lovely flavour, roast your cauliflower steaks until tender and golden brown. Drizzle them with a little tahini and a squeeze of lemon before garnishing with pomegranate seeds. Congratulations - you’ve just made an unforgettable meal!
Got any leftovers? Lucky you! Store any extra food in your B!POD containers and enjoy your delicious cooking for up to five times longer than using regular food storage methods.
Whether you're making healthy cauliflower rice or indulging in cauliflower steaks, this versatile vegetable can elevate your dishes and add a unique twist. Embrace the flavours of the season with cauliflower and explore the endless possibilities it offers!
Looking for more seasonal ingredient inspiration? Check out B!POD's blog for more creative recipes and insights.